[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
WhiteGTDropTop

Bought my first 1911

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I picked up my first 1911 yesterday. It is a Springfield Range Officer Elite Compact 9mm.

bb33634b7c68d889d1378138b9c642e7.jpg

So just a few questions for you 1911 guys.

I have heard that certain guns like more or less oil than others. Not sure if this pertains to the 1911 or not but is it a gun that likes too run wetter than normal semi-auto pistols?

Are there any differences in cleaning routine other than the obvious difference in break down? Do you clean them more often than a normal pistol?

It came factory with two eight round mags. I was looking to buy two more mags with a 10+ capacity for range use. Any recommendations on brand?

Lastly, any recommendations on modifications for the 1911?

Thanks

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
43 minutes ago, WhiteGTDropTop said:

So I picked up my first 1911 yesterday. It is a Springfield Range Officer Elite Compact 9mm.

bb33634b7c68d889d1378138b9c642e7.jpg

So just a few questions for you 1911 guys.

I have heard that certain guns like more or less oil than others. Not sure if this pertains to the 1911 or not but is it a gun that likes too run wetter than normal semi-auto pistols?

Are there any differences in cleaning routine other than the obvious difference in break down? Do you clean them more often than a normal pistol?

It came factory with two eight round mags. I was looking to buy two more mags with a 10+ capacity for range use. Any recommendations on brand?

Lastly, any recommendations on modifications for the 1911?

Thanks

Sean

Congrats on you first "Yankee Fist".

As far as cleaning, I would look at YouTube and watch the one from Bill Wilson, or Larry Vickers.  Its not that they like to run wet or dry but they need to be wet in the right places to be both reliable and prolong the life.  

I just got my first 9mm 1911 about a month ago and I got Nighthawk Custom mags with it.  Since then I have picked up one Chip McCormick Custom.  I like the mag so far but have not taken it to the range and run live ammo through it so I would not say go get one at this point.  

As far as mods, the sky is the limit.  That being said the first thing I would do is pull the slide stop pin out and look it over throughly.  Springfield uses a lot of MIM parts and that is one of them.  You will probably see the marks from the mold on each side.  If these are not 100% smooth, take it to a smith and have them fit is with a new slide stop that is not MIM.  The mold seam marks can wear on the frame and cause burrs.  This can lead to things like the slide not locking back on a empty mag.  A problem I have seen with several Springfields including my own, although they were all 45.  I have never personally shot one of the Springers in 9mm.  

Another great little drop in mod would the the Nighthawk Custom one piece magwell/mainspring.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100571415?pid=567749. I put these on both my Springer and my STI and love them.  No fitting required.

Personally I am a fan of super aggressive grips.  Both of my Nighthwak Custom 1911s now sport the G10 "Golf Ball" design.  https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/g132-officer-black-golf-ball-grips. You don't even have to wipe you hands off in the July heat and humidity to get a solid grip.  Now these maybe be a bit aggressive for your taste but I would play with a couple of different textures and see what works for you.

If you are used to striker fire pistols you probably think the trigger on this thing is the greatest thing since individually sliced cheese.  It gets better with a professional trigger job and ad adjustable overtravel.  

Other than that, roll with what you like.  What ever floats your boat.  Get some snap caps to practice your reloads.  Never drop the slide on an empty chamber.  There is a bit of a acquired skill for rapid reloading with a single stack.  The magwell will help.  

Lots of dry fire and range time is the best thing you can do to the little slab side at this point.  1911s are said to have a personality.  You will learn the little thing inside and out and it can be a real joy to shoot and in 9mm not a bad gun to introduce new shooters to larger calibers after they get bored with 22.

If you intend on carry, by far the most comfortable holster I have ever had for the 1911 is the Crossbread Snapslide OWB. https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/holsters/outside-the-waistband/snapslide-owb-holster.html They make a single and double mag pouch that matches too.

Enjoy.  Remember that the 1911 was built when manufacturing was expensive and labor was cheap.  They run best with a little TLC and a lot of attention and love in the form of ammo, drills, and dry fire.  Its not a truck gun you can toss under the seat and forget about, but not the needy girlfriend that has to have the most expensive of everything.  They are in the middle and do require more attention than some of the new plastic space guns.

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanks Red. I will definitely look at the slide stop when I disassemble it.

I have heard about the magwell and it sounds like it will be my first mod.

And dry firing a 1911 is fine but you should never drop the slide on an empty chamber? I got that right, correct? Can I ask why?

One last question. I have been mostly a CLP user with my semi autos and have never had an issue. Is that gonna be ok with a 1911 or should I be using something else?

Sean

18 minutes ago, WhiteGTDropTop said:

Thanks Red. I will definitely look at the slide stop when I disassemble it.

I have heard about the magwell and it sounds like it will be my first mod.

And dry firing a 1911 is fine but you should never drop the slide on an empty chamber? I got that right, correct? Can I ask why?

One last question. I have been mostly a CLP user with my semi autos and have never had an issue. Is that gonna be ok with a 1911 or should I be using something else?

Sean

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause premature wear on the trigger/sear interface.  There are some different theories of thought on this but folks like Bill Wilson, Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and other legends in the 1911 world will tell you not too.  Will it break the gun the first time.  No.  Will it cause premature wear that could lead to issues in the future, yes.  Think of it like slamming the door on your new corvette every time you get in or out.  

CLP is fine, I like to use more of grease like TW25B or X-Treme Gun grease just because it doesn't run and does a bit more "stay put" than oil.

I have quite a few 1911s all in .45acp. I run them "wet", but not stupid wet. When out shooting, I always carry an oiler. I will give a couple of drops to the barrel within the exposed area of the ejection port.

Pretty much any name brand magazine is gtg these days with going expensive. I see now that magazines have gotten really expensive.

That little compact disassembles differently than larger 1911s. Small difference but different. It concerns the 2-piece guide rod your pistol has. It like came with a little plastic takedown tool. Here's a good video which you should memorize on how to remove / install the guide rod without the tool. 

One other thing you might be interested in is the proper way on installing the slide release / lock so that you don't "etch" the finish. Affectionately known as an "idiot scratch /  mark". Plenty of videos for that too.

There's a few upgrades you can do but I'd fire a few hundred rounds through it before doing anything to it. After mastering (ez) doing a field strip, you'll want to take the next step on removing the main spring housing (msh) and the rest of the internals. No big deal but requires you to be focused on the task.

Nice!!  Congrats

Nice gun and yes 1911s by inherent design require lube.  They're also not shooter friendly to limp wrists.  Hardest thing for a new shooter to get use to is carrying cocked and locked relying on that thumb safety.  That said, with time and practice, it becomes quite natural. 

Tj

Nice gun and yes 1911s by inherent design require lube.  They're also not shooter friendly to limp wrists.  Hardest thing for a new shooter to get use to is carrying cocked and locked relying on that thumb safety.  That said, with time and practice, it becomes quite natural. 

Tj

I’m not sure it’s gonna be my primary carry but I wanted to keep it a size that I could carry it if I wanted too.

Sean

Just now, WhiteGTDropTop said:

I’m not sure it’s gonna be my primary carry but I wanted to keep it a size that I could carry it if I wanted too.

Sean

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger"  The design is extremely addictive.  The flat profile in a larger frame gun makes them extremely carry friendly.  Its not unusual for you to have .45s next.

I oil mine with a Q-tip..... slide rails, barrel, bushing, springs......just coat them and not dripping. 

And yes......learn how to put that slide back on and getting the pin in without scratching the frame.....that pin needs to go straight in...no turning. 

You may find like me that the platform fits you better than any other gun out there.....

I oil mine with a Q-tip..... slide rails, barrel, bushing, springs......just coat them and not dripping. 

And yes......learn how to put that slide back on and getting the pin in without scratching the frame.....that pin needs to go straight in...no turning. 

You may find like me that the platform fits you better than any other gun out there.....

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I will be able to find time in the next few days to break it down and oil it before I can take it to the range.

Sean

5 hours ago, WhiteGTDropTop said:

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I will be able to find time in the next few days to break it down and oil it before I can take it to the range.

Sean

Find the time to lube it before a range trip.  1911s don't like dry and its not good for the gun.  There is a lot of metal moving in contact and it needs lube.

Find the time to lube it before a range trip.  1911s don't like dry and its not good for the gun.  There is a lot of metal moving in contact and it needs lube.

Cleaning it is definitely my first priority. I may have typed that last message wrong haha

Sean

I went from LSA to CLP to other libs & then Slip 2000

CLP is soooo 90’s & burns off really fast if much is left on after a few days....it’s not all that good since they changed the initial formula..

Look at Slip 2000 EWL, it was designed for full auto, chain guns and mini guns and such, I’ve been using it for over 10 years & it’s way better than CLP. 

My 1911’s run like seal snot lubed with Slip2000, I keep em damp and they run like champs. Over time you will get wear spots and can tell where to lube a little more

Am looking at this lube, it’s said to be good shat unlike frog lube (gimmick) and other meh lubes....want to see how the 1911’s like it & how it stays in place when hot Vs runs off....

T9Hib6n.jpg

Spent almost 4 weeks on the road the past month & 1/2 and carried this like this every day for 12-16 hours, got home & shot 400rds of 9mm without cleaning, wiping it down, or any additional lube other than the Slip 2000 EWL I lived her with before we left & she had lint/grime and shat all over her from the trips...

mLuFBkr.jpg

I went from LSA to CLP to other libs & then Slip 2000

CLP is soooo 90’s & burns off really fast if much is left on after a few days....it’s not all that good since they changed the initial formula..

Look at Slip 2000 EWL, it was designed for full auto, chain guns and mini guns and such, I’ve been using it for over 10 years & it’s way better than CLP. 

My 1911’s run like seal snot lubed with Slip2000, I keep em damp and they run like champs. Over time you will get wear spots and can tell where to lube a little more

Am looking at this lube, it’s said to be good shat unlike frog lube (gimmick) and other meh lubes....want to see how the 1911’s like it & how it stays in place when hot Vs runs off....

T9Hib6n.jpg

Spent almost 4 weeks on the road the past month & 1/2 and carried this like this every day for 12-16 hours, got home & shot 400rds of 9mm without cleaning, wiping it down, or any additional lube other than the Slip 2000 EWL I lived her with before we left & she had lint/grime and shat all over her from the trips...

mLuFBkr.jpg

Awesome I will look into slip 2000. Do you use that on your AR’s also?

If I shoot this well and am very comfortable with it, it may turn into a daily carry, pending it being reliable.

Since I only have a few handguns I wanted them all to be a size I was comfortable carrying, that’s why I went with the compact.

Sean

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]