[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Darth Beavis

Looking for suggestions for a rifle build

Hi, all. I'm normally a lurker, but I'm starting work on a project, and need suggestions. I have a lower that's dying to be something other than a paperweight, and I'm hoping that I can get some guidance.

Currently, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P-15 carbine and an 8.5" .300 Blackout pistol, and I'm wanting to build this other lower into something that has a little "reach out and smack the daylights out of the target" ability.

I've had suggestions for a .300 Blackout, .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, 6.5 Grendel, and one wag suggested .50 Beowulf. I will admit that the bigger calibers have appeal, but the ammo is at least a buck a round, or more. So, I'm interested in suggestions for something affordable, that will give me ability to hit a target at 300-400 yards, and not break the bank.

I've seen some of the threads on here, but they've just left me more confused than ever.

So, what say you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First of all. Welcome! You have come to the right place looking for knowledge. I myself don’t have much experience with the larger caliber rifles. But I am sure someone will be along to help you very shortly.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Welcome. Yeah, caliber choices will drive you nuts. I look for commonality between calibers. I.E. what bolt can handle what round. 5.56/.223 can be used with 300BO. 7.62x39 can be used with Grendel Type I. (my personal favs). Reduces spare parts count. Also I select calibers that can be found easily (relatively speaking for these times). I see 7.62 and Grendel all the time but the other cals mentioned were thin even before COVID/Black LM.  Everyone who reads my  posts knows I love my ARski and my Grendel. I have had a blast with the 7.62x39 and it will shoot accurately. Tons of fun ringing steel out to 700 yds in Raton. NM. Mind you that's with the scope cranked for max elevation and a 5 MOA holdover. Probably no energy left at that range but 300 yds is doable with tweaking and practice. Don't forget 350 Legend. I think that shares the 5.56 bolt. Should be a breeze to reload too as it is a straight walled case.

Keep us posted and pics req'd!

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to say Welcome !

I have pretty much decided to stick with 5.56, and keep a good stock of self defense ammo on hand that does not depend on velocity for the 5.56 reach it's terminal ballistics potential out of barrels less than 20".  (That could change in the future.) That is in combination with a .308 "battle rifle" which is not as elegant of a solution as one rifle than can do more. 

If you plan to do a variety of hunting with your build, you may want to consider the .308 if you tale whitetails, mule deer or elk.  It has become a very versatile cartridge with bullet weights at 110 grains on up. Not sure how large the Grendel can go, 

but it is your needs and your opinion that matters.  "Shoot what you like; like what you shoot." 

Have you considered a 20" 5.56 using bullet weights close to 80 grains ?  Just wondering if that would meet your needs for wanting to reach out and touch someone ?  Is the build for hunting game also, or for range and self defense only ? 

Come on in and make yourself at home. Lot of great people here, and a wealth of knowledge and experience. 

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all. I'm not a hunter. I'm more concerned with self-defense, and I've read enough horror stories to know if SHTF, I can return favors at distance. At my local Cabela's there were TONS of .450 and 6.5 Grendel, but little in other calibers. I even saw a buttload of .224 Valkyrie and .350 Legend (?).

So far, what I'm reading everywhere points to either .300BO OR 6.5 Grendel for a light rifle.

Maybe I should look for something in .308Win.

Suggestions on an affordable AR in that caliber?

That's gonna be an AR10 platform. Grendel will better than BO for long range. Grendel ammo up to 130 gr available commercially. Most common is 123 gr. Hornady BLK fairly consistent.

If you want a rush do up a 204 Ruger. Fast as blazes and ammo is not hard to get. take any 223 and just a barrel swap will do it and I know a great company to get the barrel from. I have everything on your list but the Beowulf and they can all be fun but than bang slap is addicting.  I have three bolt 204's and an AR and they are a hoot. I would recommend stepping out of the box and going to a 20 Practical but if you don't reload that is problematic  as is the 6X45 that is a stellar round for play/game. I like it so much I am having a 20 Practical REMAGE barrel done up this week as the steel arrives today and I have the Golden E-ticket in line. After that, in the next month, I will have 22 LBC and a 243 LBC done for a Ruger.  All of these would be viable for you if you wanted to take the time at a reloading bench the payback is tremendous.  All three of these run like sexually violated apes in an AR and I have the targets to prove it.

Greg

On 7/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, GLShooter said:

If you want a rush do up a 204 Ruger. Fast as blazes and ammo is not hard to get. take any 223 and just a barrel swap will do it and I know a great company to get the barrel from. I have everything on your list but the Beowulf and they can all be fun but than bang slap is addicting.  I have three bolt 204's and an AR and they are a hoot. I would recommend stepping out of the box and going to a 20 Practical but if you don't reload that is problematic  as is the 6X45 that is a stellar round for play/game. I like it so much I am having a 20 Practical REMAGE barrel done up this week as the steel arrives today and I have the Golden E-ticket in line. After that, in the next month, I will have 22 LBC and a 243 LBC done for a Ruger.  All of these would be viable for you if you wanted to take the time at a reloading bench the payback is tremendous.  All three of these run like sexually violated apes in an AR and I have the targets to prove it.

Greg

x2

With commercially available ammo, your lower, and reach out and touch someone, its the .264LBC, better known as 6.5 Grendel.  Bullet coefficients of the 6.5 are fantastic.  Ammo is still expensive so your not gonna go out and shoot 100 rounds twice a week.  .308 based rifles are great but I can tell you, its hard to find parts right now speaking from personal and unfinished rifle experience.  And your lower will still be a paper weight.  Most parts manufacturers are concentrating on the AR15 platform and customer's demands.  It took 11 retailers and help from a .308 Forum to find an Aero Precision lower receiver to match my upper.  I will also spend around $1400 (without optic) on it but I am buying serious quality parts.  You can build a nice Grendel for about half.  XonlyJ is right, If you stick with the Type 1, you can swap barrels and possibly magazines and double your fun with a 7.62X39.  Ammo is cheap.

There ya go, my $0.02.  Good luck!

• Like 1

6.5 Grendel it is!

I've seen a fair amount on the shelves at Cabela's and Academy, so I've found my caliber.

Anybody interested in a 10½" 5.56 upper?[emoji16]

11 minutes ago, Darth Beavis said:

6.5 Grendel it is!

I've seen a fair amount on the shelves at Cabela's and Academy, so I've found my caliber.

Anybody interested in a 10½" 5.56 upper?emoji16.png

Choose carefully and match your bolt/bcg to your barrel.  I went with Type 1.  I havent built a 7.62X39 yet but I am thinking after I recover from the LR308 build, it will be next in my line up. 

• Like 1