[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Flesh Wound

I did it. Bought a new bolt gun in 6.5CM

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

Got out to do some shooting yesterday with the new rifle. 

I am very happy. This rifle *is* a shooter.

After sighting in and adjusting to different distances I was able to hit the 8" steel plates out at 300 yards with ease. Looked like about a 3-1/2" group. I'm stoked considering my crappy technique. I really need to work on this.

Some thoughts on shooting this. The Harris bipod is great. Super stout and steady. And Longhair was right. At 300 yards that 8" plate was pretty small even at 24X magnification on the Diamondback.

My Cabella's rear rest could have been a bit taller. But it worked well enough.

Sorry no pics. I flat out completely forgot. No targets to show. Today was a strictly for fun day. I lost the book with the load data for the ammo I took along so no point other than to use it up just shooting for fun.

You had fun. The rifle can shoot.  Yu lost the book.  Feeble excuse to go back to the bench but by golly that's a good one!! Congratulations on the performance.

Greg

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
13 minutes ago, GLShooter said:

You had fun. The rifle can shoot.  Yu lost the book.  Feeble excuse to go back to the bench but by golly that's a good one!! Congratulations on the performance.

Greg

I'm hoping I'll find that book someday. I'd like to recreate that recipe it seemed to shoot very well.

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I lost my first 243 LBC data book. Now I have double redundancy in all my loadings made up.  I even save the label on the box  that gives me rudimentary info.

Greg

For a new rear bag, I highly recommend that you buy one from Precision Underground. Their fill is the best I've ever used!

https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/  (watch the video)

They also make great suppressor covers.

• Like 1

Those look good.

I use a tall bunny bag on the bench. For field expedient work I use a shot bag full of plastic pellets. I trained my shooters with them. I had one guy use corn until he found out what happens when they got wet..lol. I felt sand was too heavy and not as quickly moldable.

I got one of those rear sling stud flip down monopods but have not used it yet. 

Greg

3 hours ago, GLShooter said:

Those look good.

I use a tall bunny bag on the bench. For field expedient work I use a shot bag full of plastic pellets. I trained my shooters with them. I had one guy use corn until he found out what happens when they got wet..lol. I felt sand was too heavy and not as quickly moldable.

I got one of those rear sling stud flip down monopods but have not used it yet. 

Greg

They (PU) use their own secret fill, and that stuff is pure magic. It's way more stable than plastic beads, walnut shells, or chewed up rubber.

I've got a BT Accu-Shot monopod, too. There's a trick to properly use them to shoot with. The only time that the butt of the pod should be on the bench or ground while you're on the scope is when you're spotting for someone else. When you'e shooting with it, you grip the pod with part of your hand extending below it, and adjust elevation by squeezing and causing your fist to grow where it meets the bench or ground beneath the pod.

9 hours ago, Longhair said:

For a new rear bag, I highly recommend that you buy one from Precision Underground. Their fill is the best I've ever used!

https://precisionundergroundriflegear.com/  (watch the video)

They also make great suppressor covers.

This right here.  This man started his business in his house as a side job.  IMO, there is no better bag. 

And if you're not satisfied with it, he'll fix it until you are.  I have one of his bags, and will get at least one more. 

I will not buy another bag. 

Oh, and congratulations on the new rig FW.  You're going to love that 6.5 Creedmoor.  Just a heads up, PRD is just as bad as BRD.  Ask me how I know.  :laugh:

Can't wait to see the pics. 

Edited by Srgt. Hulka
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Longhair said:

They (PU) use their own secret fill, and that stuff is pure magic. It's way more stable than plastic beads, walnut shells, or chewed up rubber.

I've got a BT Accu-Shot monopod, too. There's a trick to properly use them to shoot with. The only time that the butt of the pod should be on the bench or ground while you're on the scope is when you're spotting for someone else. When you'e shooting with it, you grip the pod with part of your hand extending below it, and adjust elevation by squeezing and causing your fist to grow where it meets the bench or ground beneath the pod.

That technique makes good sense.  Squeeze bag technique would certainly be applicable to it for minute adjustment.   I'll have to take a nice cool day this fall and try it out on one of my good guns with and without with a bag set up in place for a baggo a baggo trial.

Greg

• Like 1

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]