[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Flesh Wound

Rittenhouse released on bail

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was glad to see that Rittenhouse still had to post a fairly significant bond; $200,000.

Please don't take this as a position that Rittenhouse was not acting in self defense. What I am happy to see that bond was available, and a decent amount, considering the crimes charged. 

Every Court in Wisconsin can now be challenged when the Antifa types are released on recognizance bonds or very low bonds, or never even sought by local authorities. Like that Antifa "security guard" puke who assassinated the preacher and then went on his merry way until the Feds went looking for him, and he made the mistake of shooting at them. 

Being evil and stupid does not lend itself to a long life expectancy, eh ?   

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John, do you have a link to where he posted $200,000? According to reports I heard the bail was supposed to be $2M in cash. Lin Wood was lamenting this in a message I saw from him.

I honestly hope he was released on $200K. 

Lin Wood confirmed today that the bail was $2M cash.

7431acca1885f982.thumb.jpg.017c652fe4dfa2235f791504722e8a6d.jpg

Typically you can bond out for 10%, which would be $200,000. I think that's where John was going with it.

ETA: I just saw the evening news, and they talked about $2M bond, not bail.

Edited by Longhair
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhair said:

Typically you can bond out for 10%, which would be $200,000. I think that's where John was going with it.

ETA: I just saw the evening news, and they talked about $2M bond, not bail.

That's backwards. Bail != Bond. Bond is where you put the 10% up and the "bondsman" keeps that. Bail is another thing. Full cash. This was another way Wisconsin was attempting to screw Kyle. Cash bail only.

The good news is that once Rittenhouse appears and all the legal proceedings are complete the court refunds the $2M.

I sent $500. That kid was getting railroaded. I had to help.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flesh Wound said:

John, do you have a link to where he posted $200,000? According to reports I heard the bail was supposed to be $2M in cash. Lin Wood was lamenting this in a message I saw from him.

I honestly hope he was released on $200K. 

Bail is the amount set by the Court to help guarantee the defendant's appearance in Court, if released on bond. 

In the States that I am familiar with, bond (what you actually post) is 10 % of the bail. 

A 2 million dollar bail would result in the defendant needing to post $200,000 bond to secure that 2 million bail. 

EDIT:  Read the entire thread.  I have heard of jurisdictions where they require full cash bail for certain crimes. 

Please trust me when I tell you that this is highly unusual, and I have seen bails and bonds on Notices to Appear, Original charges, and Warrants. Literally hundreds of them from all over the country. 

Overwhelmingly there is a bail amount set, and the bond that must be posted is 10% of the bail amount.  I searched my brain (without a warrant) and remembered exactly 2 (two) instances, where the full bail amount was required. 

I once had a warrant arrest where the full cash amount was $437. 62 (or something close to that) from an adjoining County. The Judge set it that way because that was exactly what the wanted person owed in fines and costs from a previous conviction.  Of course, since he went to the County Jail since he did not have the money they will tack on about 100 bucks or so for warrant service fees and possibly other costs, but the guy could either sit in jail, or pay quickly and never have to go to Court. 

You are correct, 2 million is a large cash amount, but it used to be where "murderers" with more than one victim, or even a single victim, are held without bond. I really don't know what kind of a flight risk this kid would be, or if he was asking to be able to return to his home State, which is not the usual practice. In murder cases, the defendant would not be allowed to leave the State where he committed the crime as one of his bond conditions. I am wondering if the put a "tamper-proof" tracking device on his ankle, so that his location would always be known.  The defendant in Illinois is also responsible for those costs, and they are not cheap.  Most Counties have a standard list of bond conditions, and then there are blank lines left for the DA to request additional conditions, that are usually worked out with the defendant and their lawyer, and of course, approved by the Judge. 

There are reams of case law surrounding suits by defendants regarding whether or not the bail/bond set was  'reasonable".  It all boils down to the crime(s) committed,  criminal history, and whether it is likely the defendant will commit more crimes. The  DA, who argues why he wants that amount, and then the defense attorney does the same asking for a lower or no bond, or accepting without objection the DA's proposed amount. 

I'm a bit surprised that Rittenhouse was able to post 2 million cash. I am also wondering in Wisconsin if the defendant can appeal that 2 million amount, so the cash could be used for other things, like private investigators, lawyers, and living expenses. Apparently, between his gofundme, and the people supporting his cause, Rittenhouse is not cash poor.

Edited by Retcop

6 minutes ago, Retcop said:

Bail is the amount set by the Court to help guarantee the defendant's appearance in Court, if released on bond. 

In the States that I am familiar with, bond (what you actually post) is 10 % of the bail. 

A 2 million dollar bail would result in the defendant needing to post $200,000 bond to secure that 2 million bail. 

That's often how things work. The court denied bond. They required cash bail. Hence the need for $2M.

22 minutes ago, Flesh Wound said:

That's often how things work. The court denied bond. They required cash bail. Hence the need for $2M.

I added an edit to my post where I stated how rare that has been from jurisdictions all over the country. 

I agree with you that part of the circumstance here is making sure the public (especially in Wisconsin) 

gets the idea if you defend yourself with a firearm, the State is going to go all out to discourage that,

and to protect so called  "peaceful protesters."  In other words, it's not your actions that are on trial,

it is your politics. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Retcop said:

I'm a bit surprised that Rittenhouse was able to post 2 million cash.

10's of thousands of people raised that money. Including me. There were also recent large donations from a couple of celebrities that push the fund over the top. No time to sit still. I'll be sending more next payday.

• Like 1

Left to right, lead attorney John Pierce, Kyle, actor Ricky Schroder. 

EnT9pJgXEAIMveg.jpeg.e2b2302e29985ed04fe7bfd85ac77b98.jpeg