[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
DesertSand56

Flash Light Mounting Question

Thinking of adding a mounted flash light to my S&W M&P Sport. Could use some suggestions on the correct way to mount a light, what is needed as far as accessory/tool(s) and a good mid-priced light to start with. Does the handguard need to be changed? I've seen the Magpul MLOK style handguard. Would this be a good option? Are there any other options I should checkout?

Edited by DesertSand56
Added info

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Thinking of adding a mounted flash light to my S&W M&P Sport. Could use some suggestions on the correct way to mount a light, what is needed as far as accessory/tool(s) and a good mid-priced light to start with. Does the handguard need to be changed? I've seen the Magpul MLOK style handguard. Would this be a good option? Are there any other options I should checkout?

I believe the hand guard def needs to swapped out. I have the magpul mlok hand guard on my DPMS Oracle and I like it. Simple swap takes 2 minutes. U can def mount a light to it. Other than going to a free float rail the Magpul is probably ur best bet.

As far as a good light that is a topic that gets pretty heated on here. Price range is gonna dictate how good of a light u get. If u want a tape switch to activate it that might limit ur light options. Are you sure you want a light or just playing with the idea?

If you are sure I would spend a little more and get a quality light.

If u use the search function there are a few threads recently that we have discussed good light options.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean thanks for the reply and info. Do I need any special tool to remove the hand guard? Thinking about that Magpul MLOK like you mentioned.

Sean thanks for the reply and info. Do I need any special tool to remove the hand guard? Thinking about that Magpul MLOK like you mentioned.

It might be called a delta ring wrench/pliers. Makes it simpler, and it’s cheap

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Unless you want to change out your front sight post to a low profile gas block then it's best to stay with the magpul foregrip. As far as lights go it depends on what you want to spend. $300 for a Surefire or Modlite (best for the money). Or you can go with an InForce for about $170. I personally like and use the Streamlight 88065 ProTac because it can use CR123 or 18650 batteries runs about $75 on Amazon. And I use the BMC Light Mount Mod 0 1" to mount it. I don't use a switch but they have them out there. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I’ll probably go with the Magpul. Still looking at a WML not sure which one to go with.

Edited by DesertSand56

I bolted a short section of picitiny rail to the round skinny hand guards next to the front sight. Mainly to save weight. 0ddd9dedb1e084e38dfd657b227788f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks good chilidawg. Thanks for the info and pic. Going to check that option out, Thanks!

Thanks. I can post better photos if you need them

I zoomed in on the pic and have a pretty good idea of the mounting. New to AR’s so it takes me a while to catch on. Thanks!

@DesertSand56 I went with the skinny round hand guards to save weight, but the main reason is commercial picitiny rails, m lock or mod hand guards usually allow for either 90 or at best 45 degree mounting. With the 2 inch rail section bolted on, I can mount it almost in axis with the bore.

Chilidawg thanks for the recommendations and pics. Helped out a lot!

• Like 1