[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
towtruck

Chasing my tail

I was out under a tree this morning in my front yard when the sprinklers were on and noticed water bubbling up  away from the grass in the dirt. I know my water lines run inside the lawn and have flexible tubing going to each sprinkler head. I have repaired several over the years. I grab a shovel and start digging and the inflow keeps changing....it's following a gopher hole!!   I dug along my mow strip for 6' until the water started coming from under the mow strip. I'm 2' into my rock ground cover. The place where the water is coming under the concrete is between sprinklers. I dug around the closest sprinkler and it seems to be okay. I am going to have to dig a pot hole in the lawn and try to find the broken pipe.....but, do I dig right where it's coming under or what.....that gopher hole could cause me to dig up way more lawn than I want to. I may dig the two near sprinklers up first and turn the water on to see if the leaders to them are the issue before I try and find the main line. I find it hard to believe the main line would be broken....it's going to have to wait until later in the week though, I'm busy for a few days. 

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
1 hour ago, towtruck said:

I was out under a tree this morning in my front yard when the sprinklers were on and noticed water bubbling up  away from the grass in the dirt. I know my water lines run inside the lawn and have flexible tubing going to each sprinkler head. I have repaired several over the years. I grab a shovel and start digging and the inflow keeps changing....it's following a gopher hole!!   I dug along my mow strip for 6' until the water started coming from under the mow strip. I'm 2' into my rock ground cover. The place where the water is coming under the concrete is between sprinklers. I dug around the closest sprinkler and it seems to be okay. I am going to have to dig a pot hole in the lawn and try to find the broken pipe.....but, do I dig right where it's coming under or what.....that gopher hole could cause me to dig up way more lawn than I want to. I may dig the two near sprinklers up first and turn the water on to see if the leaders to them are the issue before I try and find the main line. I find it hard to believe the main line would be broken....it's going to have to wait until later in the week though, I'm busy for a few days. 

Can You cap off the sprinklers , I assume their pop ups ? .  We  have Rainbird 5000's and I noticed a couple of places in our lawn around the sprinklers which were MUSHY WET . Wife dug around them and I went and temporarily  plugged them ,then turned the water back on . NO leakage :CONFUS12:

I then examined the sprinklers and noticed the upper wiper ring seems worn , YEP put it back on and water leaked out of it big time . I replaced those two in addition to raising then up with Female/Male extensions ( They make those now in 1"-6" cut 1" increments riser adapters ) . Anyway NO more Mushy soaked ground and sprinklers preform way better .

We have that damn flexible Polyethylene and all ends terminate with Male thread ,so female sprinklers can mate up . Over the years sprinklers settle lawn grows up and in our case MANY are 1-3 inches lower then they should be . So eventually I raise them up .

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The back yard sprinklers are screwed right into the PVC. Most of the front is on 3/8" flex line attached to the PVC. A complete pain in the butt to change heads as with a solid line you can get the old pop ups out without digging too much...the ground stays put and you screw the new one on. I have had one PVC break under my front approach slab and I just capped that line off as it went to feed a row of Oleanders that don't need any extra water now that they are big. 

I had a guy trimming trees drive over the left side yard and he broke my sidewalk and my sprinkler main line in 7 places.  I'm hoping the issue is at a sprinkler so I will dig out the one I think may have the issue and turn the water back on and see what happens. If that end is good I will have to dig up the lawn. I may try and tunnel under the mow strip and see if I can find the pipe first.....under a tree, in my rocked in area...ugh, the joys of home ownership :laugh:.  

I hated irrigation problems. Summer in AZ everything is looking for water and I was forever fixing the black poly pipe that rodents where chewing through to get to the water sitting in them. I switched to schedule 40 pipe and have not had a problem since.