BULLDOG

Jesse Jackson: 'Babies bleeding in the streets'

:laugh:

Jackson slams gun ruling, vows new effort

RAINBOW PUSH | 'Babies bleeding in the streets'

June 28, 2008

Recommend (10)

BY ERICA L. GREEN Staff Reporter/egreen@suntimes.com

Nearly 13 hours after her 16-year-old son was shot in a drive-by, Denise Dixon stood beside the Rev. Jesse Jackson, pleading for gun regulations in the wake of the controversial Supreme Court decision that could threaten Chicago's ban on handguns.

Dixon said the community and lawmakers must fight for it.

» Click to enlarge image

Rev. Jesse Jackson and Father Michael Pfleger talk about Thursday's Supreme Court ruling on gun ownership.

(Brian Jackson/Sun-Times)

RELATED STORIES

NRA sues for repeal of bans in city, 3 suburbs Court blows away gun ban Daley rips gun ban double standard Cops: Few arrested for violating gun ban

"My 16-year-old is battling for the use of his right hand as we speak because somebody decided to pull out a gun and shoot him," Dixon said. "I don't know what's going on in this city. But I know we're going to have to do something about our babies bleeding in the streets."

Dixon's son Ian was shot in the arm Friday in an apparent drive-by near his home in the 800 block of West 95th Street, police said.

Dixon put a face on the aggressive new campaign Jackson announced at Rainbow PUSH headquarters Friday. He vowed to stop gun stores from setting up shop in Chicago's neighborhoods, particularly near churches and schools.

Jackson called the Supreme Court's ruling of the District of Columbia's handgun ban as unconstitutional a "reckless interpretation of the Second Amendment" -- and one that Chicago doesn't have to accept.

"We must fight for the legal restrictions on where these gun shops can be," Jackson said. "We will fight the easy access to guns and gun flow. We can picket and boycott stores that can endanger us."

He was joined by some of Chicago's most prominent religious leaders, including St. Sabina's Rev. Michael Pfleger, who had a fiery message for the Supreme Court.

"Obviously, the Supreme Court in their ivory tower is really disconnected," Pfleger said. "They're so disconnected that they cannot hear the cries of parents who are burying their children."

Dixon said her son was in the garage testing a new chain he had put on his younger brother's bike when he was shot.

"I can still hear him," Dixon said. "He just kept saying: 'Mama, I didn't do nothing.'"

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1029593...-PUSH28.article

F that idiot. Why doesn't he go after the gang banger who likely had an illegal weapon? Martin Luther King would condemn this man and what he does if he were still alive today.

They always ignore the root of the problem cause thats what feeds the rev jackass. Take a social idiot and add jesse and you get $$$$

They always ignore the root of the problem cause thats what feeds the rev jackass. Take a social idiot and add jesse and you get $$$$

:thumb:

I refuse to call Mr Jackson a reverend. Anyone who uses his non profit org to pay off his mistress and their love child does not rate the title. His refusal to blame "the playa" should come as no suprise.

I despise that racist for breathing and wasting air.

Let the lawsuits begin in these anti-gun cities. Hopefully soon, the decent folk can protect themselves from these gang banging thugs.

JJ and his ilk can boil in the pot for awhile.

Wonder why the Martin Luther King "incident" keeps coming to mind. Maybe there's a comparison here somewhere?