[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Guest Jimmyp

Glock 21 conversion to Glock 20

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CO Steve,

I am not yet a Glock owner, but will be buying one soon. The Glock 20L you have pictured in this post is an amazing looking pistol and is exactly what I'm looking for. I am quite ignorant about differences between Glock frames, so my questions may seem a little silly.

What is the best way to end up with a Glock 20L like yours:

Buy a G20 and find a 6" slide and barrel for it, or can you buy a G24 (6" .40 S&W) or a G35 (5.3" .40 S&W) and buy a 10MM barrel and drop it in?

You refer to a "JR" in your post; is he from Lone Wolf Distributors? I checked that site and couldn't find a 6" 10MM slide.

I very much appreciate any help that you, or any of the other members, can give me. Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response as I've been out of town for a few weeks.

First, a quick primmer is in order. The 45acp and 10mm Glocks are large frame versions and not compatible with the std frame 9mm, 40s&w, or .357sig versions. Therefore, you must start with either a G20 or G21 frame. Either frame will work as they are identical including the ejectors. Its the slide and magazines that determine if its a 45acp or 10mm.

JR is the owner of Lone Wolf Distributors. When I last talked to him in early April, he said that the G20T (5.5") and G20L (6.0") slides would be coming out shortly. I haven't talked to him recently as I only got back last night so I don't know where he is on the schedule. Give him a call and he can let you know where things stand. He did say that the 10mm slides would not have the lightening hole in the slide like the G21 has so that is a good thing for those who want a solid slide like I have.

So, basically, if one already has a large frame Glock, then all you'd need is a G20T or G20L slide and barrel (and a G20 extractor if you own a G21). You could take the parts out of your existing slide and use them in your G20T/L slide or you could get a complete set of parts for it so you can still use your stock slide. Asyou don't have a large frame Glock, then you need to buy either a G20 or G21 frame or complete pistol and then add the new top end including barrel and mags as necessary.

Edited by CO Steve

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here's a ?, will a G21 mag work with 10mm in a G20? Feed lips might be a little wide, but I was thinking, since they are not making the 20+ rnd mags for the 10mm can you convert/use a .45?

MikeH

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Here's a ?, will a G21 mag work with 10mm in a G20? Feed lips might be a little wide, but I was thinking, since they are not making the 20+ rnd mags for the 10mm can you convert/use a .45?

MikeH

I'm betting that all you need to do is get the KRISS Mag extension and put it on your G20 mag using your G20 follower. Check them out HERE.

Hi, new to post, was just thinking what if, a 20 to a 21? Seems to me if you have a 21 (complete slide,barrel,spring) and place it on the 20 frame then use 21 mag and it might work? Might save on some ammo cost. Na like the 20 to much.... :blink:

You are right, you can switch uppers of the G20/G21. I have a G20 upper that I swap on my G21. Of course you have to go with appropriate magazine.

is CO Steve around still?

It cant be done. The Glock 21 breech face is too wide for the 10mm case. You can always swap a complete uppper along with a 10mm ejector and you would be set.

g10

Didnt know tens were still this popular

I've done this conversion as well and I've had pretty good luck. (I traded several PM's with COSteve in the process, which was very helpful to me).

I started off with a NIB Glock 21SF.

I bought a Lone Wolf G21L slide, which accepts a 6" barrel, and a KKM 45-10mm 6" barrel (I also got a Lone Wolf 6" .45ACP barrel to shoot .45 through the same slide).

I took all of the small parts from the factory slide and installed them into the LW slide, then put a set of adjustable night sights on it.

I will say that, now they have the dedicated 10mm slides, that might be a better way to go if you just want to shoot 10mm and either keep your .45 slide together to use it or just not shoot .45. I wanted to shoot both through the 6", plus I shoot lead reloads through the .45 so I wanted the conventional rifling of the LW barrel also. I also bought some orange "training" basepads for the 10mm mags to differentiate between the 10 and .45 mags.

Once I got it together, I shot some 10mm through it with the stock guide rod and I felt it needed to be a little heavier due to the harsh recoil. I had some springs laying around and ended up using a 24# spring on a LW stainless guide rod. It ended up working just fine, even the few rounds of .40 I put through it. The extra power recoil spring also came with an extra power firing pin spring. I put that in, and coupled with the 3.5lb connector, it feels about like a stock Glock trigger.

The 10mm does have some inconsistent ejection... some of them will go straight out, some of them will go back to my 5 or 6 oclock, and I've had a couple hit me in the face. The .45's are very consistent, usually falling just to the right of my feet.

I have put close to 600-700 rounds of 10mm through it and it has not run 100%. I have heard others having problems with extraction. I've only had two malfunctions of that nature, and one of them I was deer hunting and laying prone while shooting (I can say with confidence that it was likely due to limp-wristing) and the other was near the end of a "non-cleaning" streak of a couple of hundred rounds. More often, the 10mm barrel misfeeds by the rounds hanging up while feeding from the magazine, most often slamming into the hood of the barrel and jamming the slide from closing. I have started cleaning the barrel after each range session and it has been running better. Steve was absolutely correct when stating that the match chambers of the KKM need to be kept clean. I have not modified my barrel in any way. It might have just needed some break in time, as I have not had any type of malfunction with it in the last hundred or so rounds (most of which were testing reloads), and I have not had any malfunctions with the .45 barrel.

Anyway, here are my pictures:

10mm45acp.jpg

10mm45acp2.jpg

sldcvr.jpg

10mm45acp3.jpg

glockdeer.jpg

100_0074.jpg

Thanks again for your help COSteve!

Edited by AJE

this is what i'm trying to do, conversion.

it's highly possible. mine runs 100% consistantly-after the first round has been loaded.

brainstorm: i was about to say it runs full mags but i'm working up loads so i only load 4 rounds at most. maybe it will load the first round consistantly if i fill the mag!

oh joy! a project that won't cost money and waste my time while it's in transit.

if i load some rounds today i could go to the range tomorrow.

crap! i have to drive to austin :nt: in my e46 :nt: cabrio :nt: w/o the family :nt:

maybe next week then.

as COSteve suggested, i 'took the edge off' the top of the chamber between 10 & 2 and had zero failure to chamber from the mag, in my garage.

i can't claim success yet-hoping for range time at lunch, but it sure seems possible.

another reason i think i may be having failure to feed is the squared off nose 180s i'm shooting.

can anyone recommend a different shaped 180 on 40/10, on the cheap side as i'm a first-class cheap bastid?

tia

michael

after doing as COSteve suggested on the 10-2 on the barrel hood i have success.

i was able to fire, 5 at a time, from a mag and a locked slide, 26 rounds.

my only problem had been getting the first round from the mag and into the barrel, but i was able to do it five times today.

now for more loading and hopefully repeated results.

i will still be adding a g21 lci & parts.

Glocks Rule.

Edited by Girevik

I know this reply is a few years late but might be of interest to someone out there. I converted my G21SF with a KKM barrel, G20 mags. LWD SS guide rod with captured spring (admittedly for .45acp use initially) and I also slighly modified the extractor by filing off a small nub so it could get a better grip on the 10mm case rim. Using Hornady XTP ammo in both 180gr & 200gr I ran into more FTEs than I'd care to mention - guesstimating probably around 50% or greater. I gave up on this for a few weeks and let it sit.

Then once I was set up for loading my own 10mm ammo I gave it another shot. I used 180gr bullets and started with a minimum powder charge and then I gave it a go. I was able to successfully fire 50 out of 50 rounds with ZERO malfunctions. I kept thinking I was limp wristing it with the Hornady ammo but then I gave it to my buddy to try out and he ran into the same issues (again with Hornady ammo). When I have more time I'm going to test out progressively higher powder charges and I'll record my results.

It very well could be that my setup just doesn't like the Hornady rounds. I would have tried different factory loads but my range/gun store doesn't even carry 10mm ammo. I'm eager to load up more 10mm but then that would mean changing my reloader to large primers and then resetting the dies. I'm somewhat lazy and I need to load up more .40s&w before I go back to loading 10mm. I should have this done in a few weeks.

I was thinking of getting a glck 20 sf but know i am going for the glock 21 sf because i love the 45acp and 10mm

45acp 230gr 1050 fps @ 565 ft lbs or 45acp 185gr 1250 fps @ 640 ft lbs and glock 20 180gr hardcast fp 1375 fps @ 755 ft lbs or 10mm 135gr 1625 fps @ 790 ft lbs so next purchase glock 21 sf with 10mm conversion

As of 8-1-2011 at 1PM there's a complete G20 Upper (Sllide & Barrel) for sale over on Calguns.net in the Firearms Parts and Accessories section!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=461727

I have seen on you tube some people change the extractor from the 21 to the 20,others say that it isn't necessary, my question is if you change the extractor will it work with both 45 acp and 10mm

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]