StrokerAce

FN Five Seven

Well I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of these guys and I just wanted some input from owners.

Is this a good gun for concealed carry? How is the size and weight? I have bigger hands but I am pretty skinny so that rules out some bigger guns for me.

I currently carry a Glock30 (.45 Compact)

It's very light, If your hands can fit a Glock thay can fit this gun. I am a big guy with very small hands. I have yet to hold a stock Glock that came close to fitting my hand. The FsN fits mine fine, 20 round flush fitting mag, There is some very good SD ammo out there (Bias Alert) that vastly out performs the factory SS192/195 and SS197.

Fobus makes a nice paddle and BlawkHawk makes a Serpa for it also.

Thanks for the input Panzer. Of course if I get ammo it'll be from ya'll to support site sponsors!

I'll have to go to the shop today and fondle one. How does it feel carrying though? Is it mainly an OWB or can it accommodate IWB nicely?

The 5-7 is a full sized gun imo. Its bigger then a Glock 30 for sure.

Oh definantley agreed. That's why I'm weary of getting it for carry, but the gun has just peaked my interest so damn much. Unless I just get it for these winter months and wear a jacket over the OWB.

I can conceal a full size gun, I'm just worried about it poking out since I do have a smaller frame and wear not really tighter shirts, but shirts that fit me I suppose you can say.

If you can carry a full sized 1911 IWB you can carry the USG. It is a heck of a lot lighter though.

If you can carry a full sized 1911 IWB you can carry the USG. It is a heck of a lot lighter though.

+1

I think the biggest annoyance with my 1911 is the weight. It is my only carry gun atm, Kimber Stainless II.

Awesome, I do like lighter!

+1

I think the biggest annoyance with my 1911 is the weight. It is my only carry gun atm, Kimber Stainless II.

Yeah I would imagine, I looked into that for carry. But now my options are boiling down the Five Seven or a Ultra Carry II

I guess the last thing I need to do is research the ammo, since I heard the ammo that is available to civilians is no better then a 9mm I don't know if it would be worth it to give up a .45 although that's where the fun of research beings (=

I guess I'd be interested in what folks have to say about the Five Seven round as a self-defense cartridge. Any worries about overpenetration? Tissue damage. That sort of stuff.

I guess I'd be interested in what folks have to say about the Five Seven round as a self-defense cartridge. Any worries about overpenetration? Tissue damage. That sort of stuff.

This is also what I'm mainly interested in.

Although I heard that the round available to civilians are no more lethal then a 9mm.

Check out this section of the forum. The effectiveness of the round has been discussed in great depth. Over penetration is not an issue and the power of Elite Ammunition's 5.7x28 is well over 450ftlb. the same as +P 45ACP.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/topic/48993-ea-57x28-gel-tests-law-range-112908/

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/topic/60570-Elite-Amm...ine/

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/topic/51781-57-facts/

This link shows our custom night sights.
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/topic/58242-USG-ION-Custom-Night-Sigh-t58242/

Thanks, I'll look them over.

My guy at the gunshop has one for me their right now so maybe I'll go down this weekend and grab it!

The 45acp is a hard round to beat but the USG with the right ammunition would work.

I like mine because it is thin, although a bit to long, the trigger pull is ok, the magazine capacity is outstanding, the durabilility and strength is outstanding, the accuracy is perfection, quick follow up shots are excellent because of the lack of recoil, and it is, for a pistol pretty long range accurate.

It has no night sight so I added a light with laser which made it absolutley everything I wanted. There are holster companies that make holsters to provide for light lazer combinations

You might want to contact one of these holster companies to find out which light laser combos their holsters will accomadate.

Tom

The 45acp is a hard round to beat but the USG with the right ammunition would work.

I like mine because it is thin, although a bit to long, the trigger pull is ok, the magazine capacity is outstanding, the durabilility and strength is outstanding, the accuracy is perfection, quick follow up shots are excellent because of the lack of recoil, and it is, for a pistol pretty long range accurate.

It has no night sight so I added a light with laser which made it absolutley everything I wanted. There are holster companies that make holsters to provide for light lazer combinations

You might want to contact one of these holster companies to find out which light laser combos their holsters will accomadate.

Tom

Actaully their are night sights. We make them and very soon a night sight version of FN's new fixed sights.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/index.php/USG-IOM-C...tml#entry716008