captainbarred

Big Bad Rifle Pic thread

[A couple of pics to show that occasionally I get a rifle out of the safe and expose it to the elements. These were on a PD shoot last week in N.Arizona. Rifle is my first build with a Tactical 20 top end from Dtech. Scope is a 6X18X50 SF Buck master. It runs a Timney 3 pound trigger. Reformed LC brass with 39 grain Sierra BT's at 3750. I'd post the after shots on the PD's but they are more than a little gruesome.

DSC02639.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

Sorry no action shots since I was all by myself on this one. Lots of dogs bit the dust that day!!

Greg

Great looking rifle Greg. I can clearly see that the 24" barrel works for you. If only we had PDs in PA! (and the ability to use our ARs in places other than the range...)

Ted

Great looking rifle Greg. I can clearly see that the 24" barrel works for you. If only we had PDs in PA! (and the ability to use our ARs in places other than the range...)

Ted

I do like the extra speed of the 24". Mike did a super job on this. I'll have to post some targets one of these days that I shot.

You notice though that I am limited to a FIVE shot mag in the hunting areas. That is why you see a sticker on the magzazine in the rifle. I made four five rounders out of some old 20 rounds mags. I popped them open and inserted a cut piece of balsa that prevents them from holding more than five shells.

Greg

I do like the extra speed of the 24". Mike did a super job on this. I'll have to post some targets one of these days that I shot.

You notice though that I am limited to a FIVE shot mag in the hunting areas. That is why you see a sticker on the magzazine in the rifle. I made four five rounders out of some old 20 rounds mags. I popped them open and inserted a cut piece of balsa that prevents them from holding more than five shells.

Greg

Does your local state fish and game commission approve of self modified magazines? I ended up buying a number of 5 round magazines in 5.56 and 6.8 for hunting. Hopefully, the future will allow for use of my AR in PA, but for now I have to wait until I get to Wyoming with my son next fall. My Stag 7ML in 6.8 SPC for mule deer and antelope. If a am luck enought to draw an elk tag, then it will be my 7 mm rem mag.

Mike (my son) bagged his first 5x5 elk this fall with his Mathews bow, first trip out... beginners luck I guess, missed a black bear over the gut pile and still has one week left to bag a mulie. Man am I green...Looks like Jackson Hole will be his home for the foreseeable future. He was a flyfishing guide for the last three summers out there and now works for Wells Fargo. At least he is using his college degree now...

Ted

Does your local state fish and game commission approve of self modified magazines? I ended up buying a number of 5 round magazines in 5.56 and 6.8 for hunting. Hopefully, the future will allow for use of my AR in PA, but for now I have to wait until I get to Wyoming with my son next fall. My Stag 7ML in 6.8 SPC for mule deer and antelope. If a am luck enought to draw an elk tag, then it will be my 7 mm rem mag.

Mike (my son) bagged his first 5x5 elk this fall with his Mathews bow, first trip out... beginners luck I guess, missed a black bear over the gut pile and still has one week left to bag a mulie. Man am I green...Looks like Jackson Hole will be his home for the foreseeable future. He was a flyfishing guide for the last three summers out there and now works for Wells Fargo. At least he is using his college degree now...

Ted

No mention in the rules about modified magazines. No mention of reloaded ammo either so I figure both are legal. LOL

Sounds like the boy is a born hunter. I wish him luck. I'd loveto get a shot at an elk or bear .

Greg

to adair usmc:

Could you please pm with me info about the mount you chose for you M1A, please?

I'd like to now what others you looked at and why you chose the one you did, cost, etc

Thanks

John

No mention in the rules about modified magazines. No mention of reloaded ammo either so I figure both are legal. LOL

Sounds like the boy is a born hunter. I wish him luck. I'd loveto get a shot at an elk or bear .

Greg

I think he is just a born outdoorsman, and can he fish; a majician with a flyrod. He left a 26" brown he caught on his first week on the Snake River on his wall in his bedroom here. I think he is just rubbing it in... :thumb:

This is one of my Big Bad Guns. It is a Imbel receiver FAL from Pacific Armament Corp. .308 of course.

21l7i38.jpg

My Ruger M77V tang safety in 22-250 topped with a leuold vari-X-III 6.5-20x40mm fine reticle my plans are to get new M1 turrets installed since I don't like the field adjustment that is on it right now and I found out that I can't get a new reticle installed on a 30 year old scope :(

ad7e72a8.jpg

Edited by Ambivolent

my dad has an old m77 like that but in 220swift same scope though is it got the friction adjustement 2?

Yea it has the friction adjustment I don't like it I'm more familiar with click adjustments I'm just going to get the elevation turret replaced since I don't really adjust for Windage that often

ya i was gonna set a load up for his since he hadnt done it yet couldnt even get the biatch zeroed i was pissed went thru a whole 20 rounds

Yea to get the M1 style turret they quoted me 89.99 installed for the elevation I'm gonna wait to get it installed

I inherited my rig from a family friend 10 years ago and shot it a few times before but never for accuracy when I shot it for the first time since I got it back from my pops who has been storing it I got a decent 5 shot group at 50yds well cept for the flyer that was the first shot

4530d00f.jpg

Edited by Ambivolent

not to shabby yea i told him him if he wanted me 2 work a load for it either ship the scope off or buy a new one or let me put a new one on