[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Decidion

Purpose of Take Down Pin Detent & Spring

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am wondering what is the purpose of the take down pin detent and spring? I installed a Magpul ASAP sling attachment point today and noticed the pin and spring did not come out. I could see the spring in there, and I assume the pin is in a bit further (cannot see it in that tiny hole), but the spring wouldn't come out. I didn't try and dig it out, but I thought it was supposed to easily pop out. Is it messed up?

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The spring should not be sitting n the hole- it won't fly out, but it should stick out the end of the hole. Those parts keep the takedown pin from falling out.

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nevermind.... I realized it is to put pressure on the rear take down pin. I can see the detent pin pushing against the take down pin, so I know it is in place. I guess the manufacturer used a spring that is a tiny bit wider on the stock end of the spring to keep it from shooting out if you remove the stock and end plate, which seems like a really good idea to me :)

Who made it? It shouldn't do that.

Who made it? It shouldn't do that.

It is a Spike's Tactical lower. Honestly, I don't see it as a problem, and maybe even a benefit to prevent loosing the spring when taking off the end plate.

Spikes have a built in spring retention system

Seems like every AR that I've put a sling point on has had the last 1/4" of the take down pin spring smashed over by the factory. Now I have about 10 of them on hand in case I run into that again.

POF does too. I'm wondering if it's a peculiarity of billets lowers? :unsure:

That's interesting. I didn't know that. :)

Thanks, I didn't know that either.

Is the spring and detent inserted on the inside of the lower on the Spikes or is it installed like most other lowers?

detailed pics of spikes verses others would be very informative.

POF does too. I'm wondering if it's a peculiarity of billets lowers? :unsure:

actually I think most of the billet mfg is doing it if not all, same with tension screws for upper/lower tension

I saw something very cool one day.. The rear hole for the detent spring had a tiny short allen set screw in the back of the hole. So the hole was threaded in the rear part and closed. No more lost spring :D

guess my next challenge is .233 is in stock...

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]