Greg3

New guy here..Showing my AR57 SBR

Thanks guys,

Here is a quick and easy steps to follow. You can have a camo job done in a day or two. One huge plus of it is to use Krylon paints. For my two projects I use Krylon OD,flat black, Tan and flat brown. All in the camo paint at WalMart. You can seal it in Krylon Satin or matte. I used Satin which is a bit glossy but seem more durable than the matte clear.

The other plus sides are easy for touch ups if finish damage comes about and you can strip and refinish is a flash. I use aircraft paint stripper which can be bought at any local auto parts house. Spray on and watch it bubble right off.

I have had my ar's painted seveal times and never had any affect to any of the finishes with the use of the stripper.

I also used a craft sponge from Walmart for the sponge spots. tear off sections and remember to rotate the sponge now and then so you won't get the same looking spots going on.

This will allow you to "play" with camo colors and patterns for your area of operation and the seasons. If you find that one style you realy love and want a more durable finish you can then go with Duracoat.

So, here is the start. Mask off all areas that you don't want any paint or overspray. I did mask off the barrel, some guys will paint theirs but use engine paint to keep the color from getting dark with heat.

I ran two wire hangers so I could move the AR around when needed. I ran a coated wire down inside the barrel and I used one on the rear of the buffer tube where the stock will be covering it.

000_0141.jpg

000_0142.jpg

000_0144.jpg

000_0140.jpg

Here is the first coat of OD. You may want to lay your light colors down first then go to the next dark and so on. I wanted to try the OD first on this one to see how it came out.

000_0145.jpg

000_0148.jpg

This one is the 3nd and final coatod OD. I installed all pre painted parts onto the rifle before shooting the last two coats of OD.

000_0150.jpg

Now here is the tan stripes. You can go with a pattern or as I did (just random hits)

000_0155.jpg

000_0156.jpg

Then after one coat of tan stripes, I hit the OD areas with tan and the tan areas with OD sponge hits. You get the idea.

000_0157.jpg

After all of that I went with random hits with flat brown and VERY little black. Not much black out there in the woods.

000_0158.jpg

000_0168.jpg

000_0181.jpg

Just keep it up until you get what your after. You can't mess it up.

000_0175.jpg

000_0176.jpg

000_0177.jpg

I am thinking of doing 1 50rd mag for it.

Well, there it is. Not a real hard project to do. Jennifer always gets comments and buy offers from people at the range when she pulls out her Rem870 that I did. She ain't selling that baby. It's her very 1st Christmas present from me to her 10yrs ago. :thumb:

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't paint this in the kitchen. LOL

I just used the area to pre heat the parts and to let the parts dry. :)

Edited by Greg3

Wow, that looks really well done, how well does the spent brass dump into the Pmag? I hadn't thought about doing that I had just resorted to standing over my backpack with it open for the longest time.

Wow, that looks really well done, how well does the spent brass dump into the Pmag? I hadn't thought about doing that I had just resorted to standing over my backpack with it open for the longest time.

Thanks,

The Pmag does a great job of policing the brass for me. The mag will hold around 60rds. of spent brass.

It's an easy job to do the mag for this project. Just need a Dremel and some sand paper. Just insert the mag and draw a line where it's flush with the lower receiver. Then cut away. then finish with some sand paper to take off the rough edges. Just be sure to gut the mag first. LOL

I used the keeper on the bottom of the mag to hold the floorplate in place since the spring is no longer in there to hold it on. I was going to glue it on but decided not too for cleaning and removal of a stuck brass that might find a way to well, get stuck. It's never happened but you know Mr. Mruphy and how he works. :wink:

Another thing is that you will have to depress the mag release to insert the mag as the feed lips will now be gone.

Hope this helps.

Greg

100_1107.jpg

100_1105.jpg

Edited by Greg3

WoW That’s just freeking awesome!!!!

Welcome

Hehehe....

I had to do my 10/22 to match the AR57 but sans any black in the camo. Watch ya think?

Before:

100_1148.jpg

After:

000_0308.jpg

000_0306.jpg

Sweet looking 10/22 :oh yea: What is the optic You have mounted on the puppy .... :unsure:

Sweet looking 10/22 :oh yea: What is the optic You have mounted on the puppy .... :unsure:

Thanks,

Funny story, I had a cheap Tasco on in but it went tits up on me after 200 rds. So I picked up another cheap scope from WalMart on the way to the range and had forgot about the Taco being broke. I picked up a CenterPoint.

But......this thing has gone for about 8,700 rounds and will not loose zero. I really love this cheap scope. I did order the sunshade for it from Crosman as they make the CenterPoints.

Now, I need to get a front flip up cover for the scope so I can camo it up.

Thanks guys!

I have had this in my safe for about 2yrs and only put about 400rds down the pipe. I was going to sell her to my friend that will kill for the upper.

Greg,

I'd very much appreciate a "range review" of the performance of your AR57 upper. I'll be taking delivery on a 12" AR57 upper receiver as soon as my backordered Spikes AR15 pistol lower is delivered. Highly positive experience with the FsN led me consider that the short barrel AR57 in pistol form might be very manageable but detailed reviews of the efficacy of the AR57 are scarce.

Greg,

I'd very much appreciate a "range review" of the performance of your AR57 upper. I'll be taking delivery on a 12" AR57 upper receiver as soon as my backordered Spikes AR15 pistol lower is delivered. Highly positive experience with the FsN led me consider that the short barrel AR57 in pistol form might be very manageable but detailed reviews of the efficacy of the AR57 are scarce.

Sad to say, I have traded the upper to my friend (the one that wanted it sooo bad) for a new complete M&P15 (which I LOVE) that had only 30 rounds down the pipe.

I did not shoot the 5.7 that much to get a "full feel" for the 11" barrel. I had mostly steel core ammo and I had shot about 400rds of the standard 5.7 to save teh steel core for "social events".

But from plinking I was impressed with the accuracy of the round. I did have it sighted in only at 25yrds though. Off the bench I could tear out the center of the bullseye. Now shooting offhand let's just say the upper shoots better than I do. LOL

I would like to have kept if but I like to switch guns around with friends to keep it fresh. I do have a few that I will not part with though.

Hope yours is all that you expect. They are great little platforms!

If I can help you out just give me a yell. :thumb:

Greg,

Sad to say, I have traded the upper to my friend (the one that wanted it sooo bad) for a new complete M&P15 (which I LOVE) that had only 30 rounds down the pipe.

I did not shoot the 5.7 that much to get a "full feel" for the 11" barrel. I had mostly steel core ammo and I had shot about 400rds of the standard 5.7 to save the steel core for "social events".

But from plinking I was impressed with the accuracy of the round. I did have it sighted in only at 25yrds though. Off the bench I could tear out the center of the bullseye. Now shooting offhand let's just say the upper shoots better than I do. LOL

I would like to have kept it but I like to switch guns around with friends to keep it fresh. I do have a few that I will not part with though.

Hope yours is all that you expect. They are great little platforms!

If I can help you out just give me a yell. :thumb:

Greg

Edited by Greg3